Core dump: How can it be used most effectively.

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Mon Jul 30 06:33:51 AEST 1990

  (Note the Newsgroups and Followup-To; I really don't think this is the
kind of question that belongs in comp.unix.wizards.)

In article <33725 at uhnix1.uh.edu>, krishnan at csunf.cs.uh.edu (Krishnan
Parameshwaran) writes:
|> 	Can any of you folks tell me how the core dump can be used
effectively.
|> Not just using dbx. Are there  any programs which can either be
written
|> or got from, which can be used to make some sense from the core
file.

  First of all, the tools available to work with a core file vary widely
depending on the particular operating system under which you are
working.  For example, Ultrix 3.1 on the DECstation 3100 doesn't have
adb, although the version of dbx it sports is somewhat more powerful
than the one found in stock 4.3BSD (e.g. it can do disassembly a bit
more powerfully, to make up for the missing adb :-).  And then, of
course, there's SysV, which in many cases offers utilities which are
completely different from dbx or adb (and, in my personal opinion, far
more difficult to use).

  Therefore, before your question can be answered in an accurate and
useful answer, it would help to know what kind of Unix you are using.

  Second, I fail to see why you think that dbx can't use a core file
"effectively."  I do almost all of my core file examinations using dbx,
and it is usually quite helpful.  Perhaps if you would tell us
specifically what problems you are having with dbx, we would be able to
address how you could solve them.

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik at Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-8495			      Home: 617-782-0710