Problems Installing X11R4 SOLVED!

Scott Barman scott at nbc1.ge.com
Fri Jul 27 07:22:46 AEST 1990

Before I begin, let me say thanks to the net community!  I've received
much information and helpful hints that finally made our installation of
X11 Release 4 a success.  If I haven't said so in email, let me say it
now: THANK YOU!!

Recap of the problem:
Compiling/Installing X11 Release 4 on a Sun 4/280 with all the binaries,
libraries, etc. accessible to several 4/110 diskless workstations via
NFS.  All systems are running SunOS 4.1.  Eventhough we did an
"ldconfig" on all system, we couldn't run any of the X11R4 binaries.
When we tried to run xinit, we got the message:

	xinit: can't find libXmu.so.4

To make a long story short, we made a minor change in our configuration
files (I really don't think it had an effect) AND we received the first
12 patches and applied them.  Mark Bush (Mark.Bush at prg.oxford.ac.uk)
pointed this out to me.  We had the original tape without the patches.
The patches have been applied and we've been running R4 since lunch
today (7/26/90).

Speculation:  The first fix listed in the file for patch 7 says:

	make XtVaAppInitialize work with shared library

I believe this is what our problem was in loading from the shared
library.  If not, then it's close because everything works now and it's
the only reference to shared libraries I can find in the patches.

I know there are more patches, but we finally got it running and we have
to get onto some real work! :-)  Thank you to everyone who responded
with information from my last article.

--
scott barman				NBC Systems Development
scott at nbc1.ge.com			30 Rockerfeller Plaza, Room 1615W