Can you redirect /dev/tty?

Skip Koppenhaver skip at stubby.UUCP
Sat Jul 21 04:26:08 AEST 1990

Dear Mr. Wizard:

Is it possible to redirect input to a program which opens /dev/tty?

For example, I am trying to redirect input to the ftam program (OSI`s
bigger and better ftp :-).  The problem is that when ftam prompts for
the password it opens /dev/tty to read it, so standard I/O redirection
doesn't cut it.  I have a feeling this was intentional for security
reasons.  However, I need to bypass this mechanism if possible.

I was able to do the same sort of thing with ftp by using the -n option
and the ftp "user" command which reads the password from stdin.  But
ftam has no such options or commands.

BTW, modifying ftam source is not an option.