Can you redirect /dev/tty?

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at pit-manager.mit.edu
Mon Jul 23 21:50:54 AEST 1990

  You should get a hold of Don Libes' "expect" package.  It can be
ftp'd as pub/expect.shar.Z from durer.cme.nist.gov.  You need Tcl to
compile it; tcl may be ftp'd as pub/tcl.tar.Z from
ucbvax.berkeley.edu, or from pub/tcl.tar.Z on durer.cme.nist.gov
(although that version may be older).

  Expect allows you to manipulate interactive processes in a
shell-script sort of way even when they expect to talk to /dev/tty (it
uses pty's, as someone has already suggested you use).

  Note: I've not used expect for anything myself, I just know about it
because of correspondence with Don Libes and because I saw him present
a paper about it at the most recent Usenix conference.

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik at Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-8495			      Home: 617-782-0710