filename separators and option indicators

Henry Troup hwt at .bnr.ca
Fri Jun 1 23:57:14 AEST 1990

In article <1990May31.092357.16792 at gdr.bath.ac.uk> exspes at gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) writes:
>In article <1990May30.045903.14249 at agate.berkeley.edu> dankg at ocf.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Kogai) writes:
>>also (Suppose British uses sterling figure for the place of backslash?)  Come

>Hardly important, but on (at least) most British ASCII terminals and
>printers which support the 'pounds sterling' currency symbol, it
>... Always have wondered why it didn't replace the dollarsign.

IBM specifies the $ as 'national currency symbol' in EBCDIC.  When we first
brought up a node in the U.K. there was great confusion as email across the
Atlantic transparently changed currency symbols.  Fortunately, you can
tweak the character table by esoteric modifications to VM/SP....

"That will cost $1,000,000" is vastly different from "That will cost #1,000,000"
--
Henry Troup - BNR owns but does not share my opinions
..uunet!bnrgate!hwt%bwdlh490 or  HWT at BNR.CA