Stupid man pages

John Chambers jc at minya.UUCP
Tue Jun 12 12:09:13 AEST 1990

> I am divided on the issue of professionalization of manual pages.  I do
> support it in the case that it makes manual pages clearer.  An
> unsophisticated user perusing the man pages might be a little mystified
> why a plumbing device was documented in the Unix Manual.
>
> Have any marketing types tried to do anything to take daemonology out
> of the system?  I imagine there may be countries that would not accept
> Unix because they don't like invoking daemons.

Even worse, they've done things like replacing the BUGS section with
euphemisms like RESTRICTIONS or QUALIFICATIONS.  I remember 'way back
when, when I first stumbled across Unix; I was tremendously impressed
to see BUGS in bold letters on the pages.  I decided that any system
whose manuals were so honest was well worth learning more about...

[more lines to satisfy the line counter ;-]

--
Uucp: ...!{harvard.edu,ima.com,mit-eddie.edu}!minya!jc (John Chambers)
Home: 1-617-484-6393