csh / bsd job control

Brian Matthews blm at 6sceng.UUCP
Sat Mar 24 17:32:41 AEST 1990

In article <KARL.90Mar21140133 at giza.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl_kleinpaste at giza.cis.ohio-state.edu writes:
|The SysV csh I built took care of the problem reasonably trivially.
|When a job _stopped_, csh would restore the tty state it knew before
|the job was started.  When the job was restarted, csh would re-assert
|the tty state it had when the job last stopped.
|When a job _ended_, the tty state was not messed with, on the
|assumption that the job knew what it was doing if it changed things.

I did something similar, but also had the shell restore the state if the
process exited due to a signal, presuming someone killed it and it may
not have had a chance to clean up.  I suppose it's conceivable that a
program could be written that killed itself as a normal exit procedure,
but I haven't yet come across a program that badly written :-)
--
Brian L. Matthews	blm at 6sceng.UUCP