csh / bsd job control

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri Mar 23 18:17:10 AEST 1990

In article <100777 at convex.convex.com> tchrist at convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
>I think the best thing to do is to have the shell always restore
>the mode to what it was before the program was called, irrespective ...

Yup, that's how we do it in the BRL shell when command-line editing
(and history) are enabled.  As to stty, we simply made it a builtin
that merely invoked the real one but keeps track of the new non-prompt
tty state that results.  The way I actually look at it is that the
"vanilla" tty state is established for programs that are executed,
the "fancy" state is (of necessity) exactly that which the shell needs
for its own (command-line editing and job control) purposes, and "stty"
changes the "vanilla" state only.