Large Unix, SYS5.4 on Unisys

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Thu Mar 15 10:34:20 AEST 1990

In article <22750 at adm.BRL.MIL> archunix at stl-08sima.army.mil (Bernie J. Potter) writes:
>In addition, I have been asked to locate alternate sources
>(besides Unisys) for a System V Release 4 based operating
>system for a Unisys 5000/80 machine. We are unable to
>upgrade to Release 4 under our current Unisys contract
>and would like to find another source for doing so.

By far your best source for an operating system would be the vendor,
even if it means writing a separate procurement action (which you would
have to do anyway no matter what the source of the off-contract software).
Since UNIX System V Release 4.0 has just been released, it may have not
yet been ported to your hardware even if the vendor plans to do so.
If Unisys tells you definitely that they have no plans to upgrade their
current OS to SVR4.0 (quite apart from considerations of the DA MINIS
contract), then try contacting Arete who as I recall actually developed
the system you are now using (resold by Unisys).  I'm not sure that Arete
is still in business under the same name, however; this industry changes
its infrastructure too frequently for me to keep up with such details.