Standard Shells On System V.4

Chet Ramey chet at cwns1.CWRU.EDU
Wed Mar 14 04:41:42 AEST 1990

In article <8704 at xenna.Xylogics.COM> loverso at Xylogics.COM (John Robert LoVerso) writes:

$ Encore's UMAX4.2 (loosely based upon 4.2BSD) included the BRL
$ version of the SysV3.2 /bin/sh.
$ Actually, ksh appears to be the 1985 version (which is about the time when
$ the BRL shell was incorporated into UMAX4.2).  Oops.

It is my impression that BRL (Doug Gwyn, specifically) distributes a shell
based on the SysV.2 /bin/sh with job control, emacs-style editing, and
other goodies (though it's not as nice as bash :-).  Doug doesn't
distribute the SysV.3.2 sh, especially not one from 1985 :-).

Chet Ramey

--
Chet Ramey			"I'm majoring in Eastern Philosophy and
Network Services Group		 cowboy movies -- the yin, the yang, and