Standard Shells On System V.4

Robert Claeson prc at erbe.se
Sat Mar 10 23:26:52 AEST 1990

In article <269 at macuni.mqcc.mq.oz>, news at macuni.mqcc.mq.oz (USENET News System) writes:

> Does any shell wizard out there know what standard shells will be available on
> UNIX System V.4. That is, I've heard ksh will be,

Yes. Works well in "vi" mode, but "set -o emacs" is nicer.

> what about csh and will it have any enhancements.

Csh is there, yes. I don't know about enhancements (haven't had time to
check), but it is *not* 8-bit clean. Looks more-or-less like the normal
BSD version.

> What about sh (and which version, will it have functions etc.
> or just be the standard BSD /bin/sh with very little).

BSD's /bin/sh is a very old version that is based on the one from UNIX v7.
System V Release 4 definitely includes the System V version of /bin/sh
with functions, 8-bit cleanness and all other features that you've came to
expect from a modern /bin/sh.

          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson at erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB