The *ART* of Computer Programming

Jolly C. Pancakes jcp at decuac.DEC.COM
Fri Mar 2 02:21:28 AEST 1990

In article <2317 at rex.cs.tulane.edu>, doerschu at rex.cs.tulane.edu (David Doerschuk) writes:
> Managing programmers and dividing tasks between architects and programmers
> is an art/science.  For a somewhat more enlightened and realistic account,
> I strongly recommend Frederick P. Brooks' book: "The Mythical Man-month".
> Brooks ran the OS/360 project at IBM in the middle 1960's, and his book
> describes the things he learned during this mammoth task.  He's a very
> smart guy, and his experiences are *highly relevant* to modern programming.

	Another book that I would highly recommend is one that came out
a little over a year ago - "Peopleware" by Tom DeMarco and another
author.  It concentrates on workgroup theories and the creative nature
of programming (and makes some great arguments against mandatory
neckties and..... The Furniture Police !).

jcpatilla						jcp at decuac.dec.com

"Fling your beavers aloft!"