csh / bsd job control

Chip Salzenberg chip at tct.uucp
Sat Mar 24 06:54:39 AEST 1990

According to tchrist at convex.COM (Tom Christiansen):
>I think the best thing to do is to have the shell always restore
>the mode to what it was before the program was called, irrespective
>of whether the program should have stopped, exited, or aborted.

This is almost what tcsh does; I like it.  Tcsh doesn't try to restore
modes.  Instead, it notes *changes*.  It obeys the sane ones for
command line editing while leaving the rest in place for other hapless
applications.  :-)

For example, "stty erase '^?'" affects the tcsh backspace operation,
but "stty -echo" doesn't.  However, the "stty -echo" *will* affect
other programs.  No, it's not perfect, but at least it prevents weird
modes that keep you from typing "stty sane".
--
Chip Salzenberg at ComDev/TCT   <chip%tct at ateng.com>, <uunet!ateng!tct!chip>
          "The Usenet, in a very real sense, does not exist."