csh programming problem

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Fri Mar 16 12:30:27 AEST 1990

In article <SCOTT.90Mar15190447 at osric.cs.odu.edu>, scott at cs.odu.edu (Scott
Yelich) writes:
> Well, if I was making a shell script that JUST passed already passed
> values to sub shells.... I would write it in sh because there is a
> facility which makes this function extremely easy.  See his previous
> message for the problems csh causes....

  As someone else has already pointed out, there is a functionality in
csh to make it extremely easy as well -- the ":q" qualifier to variable
expansion (That was a feature I didn't know about, too, so thanks to
whomever pointed it out!).

> >   P.S. Any particular reason why your signature contained almost an entire
> >   page full of blank lines?
>
> Did it?  What about this one?  Are you sure?

  You're right, it was my newsreader (xrn is brain-damaged and stupid
about some things....).

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik at Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-8495			      Home: 617-782-0710