The *ART* of Computer Programming

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Sat Mar 3 10:05:46 AEST 1990

In article <11270 at encore.Encore.COM> jdarcy at pinocchio.encore.com (Jeff "lowercase d" d'Arcy) writes:
>Experience has taught me that one-shot programs have a very noticeable
>tendency to turn into official (sometimes even released) tools.  Thus,
>I think it's safe to say that JRD's assertion does in fact apply to all
>programs.

Experience has taught me that even code which was scheduled to be dumped
from a product stands a chance of being picked up and turned into an
official feature.  Code I added as a porting tool on a project I am
currently working on suddenly became a "feature" when someone noticed
how useful it was.  Now it's a "documented feature" ...

Moral is, always put your best algorithm forward ;-)
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org