Problems with diff -e and ed?

Paul Houtz gph at hpcc01.HP.COM
Thu Mar 29 05:38:28 AEST 1990

Please forgive me if this question belongs in "frequently asked questions".

Does anyone know if there are any files other than the one mentioned
in the man page that will fool dif -e  -> ed?

I realize that you can't apply diff -e output to the original file if that
file has changed.

I realize that a line with a single . in it will fool ed.

I am interested in finding out how robust diff -e and ed are.   If anyone
has ever encountered a file that diff -e and ed could not handle, I would
like to hear about it.   I asked this question on comp.unix.questions but
have not received any useful information as yet.

Thanks for any help you can give.

gph at hpsdesis.HP.COM