SLIP, KA9Q, UNIX and Me! Ack!

W. John Guineau guineau at wjg.enet.dec.com
Wed Oct 10 07:36:41 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct6.075622.24684 at caen.engin.umich.edu>,
gilgalad at caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
|> From: gilgalad at caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin)
|> Newsgroups:
comp.sys.amiga,comp.sys.amiga.tech,comp.unix.questions,comp.protocols.tc
cp-ip,comp.unix.wizards,rec.ham-radio.packet
|> Subject: SLIP, KA9Q, UNIX and Me! Ack!
|>
|> Hi.  Sorry for the repost, but I am in desperate need of help here.
|> I have just purchased a Plexus P/35 UNIX box (Sys V, Rel 2).  It
|> has an 8 serial port board controlled by an "Intelligent Communications
|> Processor".  It looks as though I am not going to be able to afford
|> an ethernet board for this thing, so I want to run SLIP on the serial
|> port board instead (yeah, I know it's slow 8(  My objective is to
|> network this machine with my Amiga.
|> Anyhow, here's YASODQ (Yet Another Series of Dumb Questions):
|>
|> 1.  Where can I get PD (or damned cheap) TCP/IP software implementations
|>     that will run on this box and allow me to run SLIP over the serial
ports?

|> 2.  Where can I get KA9Q for UNIX, and will it work on this box?
|>
|> 3.  Has anybody got an ethernet board for one of these boxes that they are
|>     willing to part with for a mere pittance?
|>
|> 4.  Has anybody been able to get DNET to run under System V?  What about
|>     rel 2?
|>
|> 5.  Are there any other link protocols like DNET available for both the
Amiga
|>     and for UNIX?
|>
|> 6.  Is there any hope for me at all?  8-)  8-(

I've run the KA9Q package on my amiga and linked to a DEC MicroVAX Ii running
Ultrix using SLIP.

Worked very well. I had to add SLIP into the kernal to make it work (just
tweek machine configuration file and rebuild the kernel)

|> 			Thanks, Ralph
|>

|> gilgalad at dip.eecs.umich.edu       gilgalad at zip.eecs.umich.edu
|> gilgalad at caen.engin.umich.edu     Ralph_Seguin at ub.cc.umich.edu
|> gilgalad at sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN at UMICHUB.BITNET
|>
|> Ralph Seguin		| "You mean THE Zaphod Beeblebrox?"
|> 536 South Forest	|

W. John Guineau   			guineau at wjg.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation
Marlboro MA. 01752