UNIX semantics do permit full support for asynchronous I/O

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Fri Sep 7 02:49:56 AEST 1990

In article <27813 at nuchat.UUCP> steve at nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) writes:
> An excellent point, one we would all do well to keep in mind.  I would
> have added to Lester's list of examples the event-driven style imposed
> by modern user interface construction.
     ^^^^^^

Event loops are basically single loop control systems, such as are found
in the simplest of embedded controllers: microwave ovens, for example. For
them to have become synonymous with modern user interfaces borders on the
obscene. The best way to implement a modern user interface is with multiple
loops of control, such as Haitex' spreadsheet "Haicalc" on the commodore
Amiga...

Or, for a workstation environment, in NeWS.

> AAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

Sympathy.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'