Problems with IPC

bpm at psuecl.bitnet bpm at psuecl.bitnet
Mon Sep 24 14:09:46 AEST 1990

I am designing a distributed computing programming language, and have run
into a major problem.  I am using Unix Sys V, and _thought_ I could use
Inter-Process Communications (especially message queues) to have processes
communicating with each other.  My Unix system seems to have a message limit
of 40 outstanding, and 4096 bytes total.  This is highly inadequate for my
purposes.

Questions, then, are:
        1)  What mechanisms are available in Mach for IPC and RPC, and
                what are their limits?
        2)  Is there any way of circumventing the Unix queue limits?
        3)  Is there any way of creating a shared memory segment larger
                than 65K?
        4)  What is ISIS?  Hermes?  Can I possibly use them as backbones
                for interprocess message handling?
        5)  What are some good resources for learning more about IPC (in
                general) and Mach?

Please e-mail responses to me.  I will summarize.  Thanks in advance.

Brian
--
//      Brian P. Moquin
//      Graduate Student, Engineering Science and Mechanics, Penn State
//      bpm at ecl.psu.edu
//      moquin at jazz.psu.edu