AT&T 6836 300Mb Hard Disk

Lawrence Roney, Telecomm Dept lawrence at smcnet.smc.edu
Sat Sep 22 15:12:04 AEST 1990

We just bought a Micropolis 1558-15 300Mbyte hard disk for our 6386E Unix
box.  I'm installing it as a second hard disk in the system.  The unit came
with a 135Mbyte.  I set the drive type in the system's CMOS config RAM to
31--304 Mbyte.  I then ran the Low Level Format program that comes with the
6386.  It finds what looks to be the proper hard disk and proceeds to format
the 15 heads and 1221 cylinders.  Everything is going fine so far.  I then
reboot the Unix system off of the existing HDU and run the Unix FDISK program
to set up a partition on the new HDU (/dev/rdsk/1s0)

FDISK only sees 814 cylinders.   Why????

I continued to partition the disk and even ran mkfs and mounted the new
file system.  Re-booting the system only reported the file system to be
150Mbytes big.  I think the problem is in the FDISK or Low Level Formatter
programs.  Am I close???  Anyone have any ideas????

P.S.  The Micropolis disk was bought from Micropolis direct, not from AT&T.