Help with 4.3 mod to kill uninteruptable procs.

Lee Gates gatesl at mist.cs.orst.edu
Tue Feb 19 11:19:41 AEST 1991

	As a class project, I am working on a modification to the
BSD 4.3 source code to allow one to kill uninteruptable processes.

	It would seem that we are at a bit of a standpoint.  Initially,
I thought that I could have the kernel raise the priority of the suspect
process in the psignal() call, which after setting it to run, would
allow the process to release the resources it was sleeping with, and
exit gracefully, as I would post the kill signal before letting it run
again.  The others in my group have questioned this, and now I have
begun to wonder if it will work.

	Will the above method cause a race condition resulting from
the fact that the process probably assumes that the next time it runs
it will have the resource it was sleeping on?  And if so, I would
appreciate some other suggestions as to how to solve this problem.

	thanx
-- lee
gatesl at prism.cs.orst.edu	 "having fun watching Oregonians rust"
------------randomly-chosen-drink/quote/simpsons'-quote---------------
"If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice."
		- Geddy Lee