Help with 4.3 mod to kill uninteruptable procs.

Neil Todd neil at pio.gid.co.uk
Wed Feb 20 04:14:28 AEST 1991

In the referenced article gatesl at mist.cs.orst.edu (Lee Gates) writes:

| 	As a class project, I am working on a modification to the
| BSD 4.3 source code to allow one to kill uninteruptable processes.

(rest deleted)

A while back (~4-5 yrs) Chris Torek (I think) produced a nice little
patch to the 4.3 kernel to kill groups of run away (and rapidly
spawning) processes - this was the 'zonk' system call. You could probably
gain an insight into your problem by looking at this. The catch is that
I don't have access to the machine that I installed the patch on.

Zonk was very useful, especially on Student/teaching machines - one could
guarantee that some bright spark would experiement with self spawining
processes, zonk would kill all jobs owned by a particular UID stone dead.

Neil