Help with 4.3 mod to kill uninteruptable procs.

Y. Rock Lee rock at cbnews.att.com
Fri Feb 22 01:57:05 AEST 1991

In article <19065 at rpp386.cactus.org> jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:
>Just for kicks, imagine some real slow device has been set up to
>do a DMA transfer to some physical address that is held by the
>process which is unkillable.  Imagine that you kill that process
>and it exits.  Imagine the I/O completes and someone elses
>memory gets trashed.  All that and more ...

Please excuse my ignorance on the block devices (most of the time
I work on character/streams device).

Forcibly awaking a process doing read/write (DMA transter) will either
give the process a buffer with garbage data or throw away a buffer
containing valid data. How can this trash someone else's memory?

Y. Rock Lee, att!cblph!rock
	     rock at cblph.ATT.COM