Help with 4.3 mod to kill uninteruptable procs.

Chris Torek torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov
Fri Feb 22 02:45:32 AEST 1991

In article <4066 at stl.stc.co.uk> "Neil Todd" <neil at pio.gid.co.uk> writes:
>A while back (~4-5 yrs) Chris Torek (I think) produced a nice little
>patch to the 4.3 kernel to kill groups of run away (and rapidly
>spawning) processes - this was the 'zonk' system call.

``Not I,'' said the pig.  (Since I just ate half a dozen chocolate
chip cookies, I think I qualify. :-) )

Seriously: I never produced this particular bletcherous hack.  (I am
responsible for a number of other, different bletcherous hacks, but
not this one.)  If (A) you have SIGSTOP and (B) signals work correctly,
the super-user can stop everything, pick out the bad processes, kill
them, and then resume everything.  (This is a bit tricky to get right,
admittedly.)
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab EE div (+1 415 486 5427)
Berkeley, CA		Domain:	torek at ee.lbl.gov