Help! There's a slash '/' in my filename.

uunet!bria!mike uunet!bria!mike
Sun Feb 3 05:23:26 AEST 1991

In an article, tamuts.tamu.edu!n138ct (Brent Burton) writes:
>shouldn't something like:  rm "slash/file"
>work OK? [ ... ]

No, this won't work.  The kernel does the translation of pathname to inode,
and the slash is considered a inviolate holy relic.  The shell has nothing
to do with this translation, so escaping, quoting, etc. won't accomplish
anything.  A slash in a filename means a corrupted filesytem, and fsck
should be run (my flavor of fsck will complain about "illegal pathname chars"
and will replace them with hash-marks).

--
Michael Stefanik                       | Opinions stated are not even my own.
Systems Engineer, Briareus Corporation | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike