newsreaders may ignore comp.unix.wizards

Anthony DeBoer adeboer at gjetor.geac.COM
Tue Feb 26 01:21:40 AEST 1991

In article <2590 at root44.co.uk> gwc at root.co.uk (Geoff Clare) writes:
>I was curious that the group had apparently not been re-created and checked
>in the active file on our system, only to find that it was there after all.
>A little investigation revealed that my newsreader (nn) had ignored it
>because my .newsrc still had a line left over from the last incarnation of
>comp.unix.wizards showing articles 1-19898 as read.  As the re-created
>group started again from article number 1, nn has been treating all
>articles as already read.  Other newsreaders may be doing the same.

Now, isn't this the sort of thing that would only be caught by a wizard? This
deletion-and-recreation fiasco in comp.unix.wizards might ultimately have had
the benefit of keeping a lot of non-wizards out of the group... :-) Sort of
like the forgeries-only setup in alt.hackers, but in the read direction
instead of the write direction.
--
Anthony DeBoer NAUI#Z8800 | adeboer at gjetor.geac.com   | Programmer (n): One who
Geac J&E Systems Ltd.     | uunet!geac!gjetor!adeboer | makes the lies the