TERM and TERMTYPE (wizard level question)

Richard Brittain - VOS hacker richard at calvin.ee.cornell.edu
Fri Feb 22 14:27:08 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb19.181838.15460 at Arco.COM> phil at Arco.com writes:
>In article <22295 at hydra.gatech.EDU>, gt2807a at prism.gatech.EDU (Benjamin H. Cowan) writes:
>>
>> machine type?  There are several programs compiled differently to run on
>> different types of machines and I would like to be able to put the correct
>> directories where the correct programs according to my machine type could
>> be found in my PATH.
>>

>Here at ARCO, we use the new arch command found on some systems to play games
>with the PATH variable.  For those systems without arch, we made one.  For
>example, on our SGI machines, arch is a one liner:
>echo sgi

Many systems already have a uname(1) command.  Uname -m gives the machine
type (VAX, MIPS, hcx, gcx on the set I have to play with), that you can
put into $HOSTTYPE and place in your $PATH or whatever.  Ultrix didn't
have uname(1) but it's only a 5-line program to call uname(2) and print out
the results.

--
Richard Brittain,                 School of Elect. Eng.,  Eng. and Theory Center
                                  Cornell university, Ithaca, NY 14853
INTERNET: richard at calvin.ee.cornell.edu
    UUCP: {uunet,uw-beaver,rochester,cmcl2}!cornell!calvin!richard