What is sigcleanup?

Root Boy Jim rbj at uunet.UU.NET
Fri Jan 25 11:38:21 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan22.153802.9869 at daimi.aau.dk> kaja at daimi.aau.dk (Kaja P. Christiansen) writes:
>What is "sigcleanup" doing?

I dunno for sure, but I'll hazard a guess. It could be a mutation of
4.3BSD's sigreturn call with new bells and whistles. RTFM sez
"sigreturn allows users to atomicly unmask, switch stacks, and
return from a signal context". Since signals are more complex
than they used to be, s system call is required to exit from
them as well as to enter them. When a signal handler returns,
it executes what is known as the signal trampoline code, which
actually calls sigreturn. Setjmp/longjmp have been extended to
save and restore the signal mask as well. However, _setjmp/_longjmp
exist for speedier execution when signals are involved.

Now sing with me to the tune of a Beatles song:

	We all live in a signal trampoline,
	A signal trampoline, a signal trampoline!

--

	Root Boy Jim Cottrell <rbj at uunet.uu.net>
	Close the gap of the dark year in between