How do I configure a SLIP connection (VAX/750 4.3bsd)

Dan Revel dan at lclark.UUCP
Sat Jan 19 04:56:12 AEST 1991

OK, our VAX is on its last leg, but I still would like to squeeze
a little more service out of it by setting up a SLIP connection
between it and a Xylogics AnnexIIe terminal server to connect to
our campus ethernet.  The Xylogics end seems pretty clear... but
what do I need to do at the VAX end (750, vanilla 4.3 bsd unix)

I tried:

# slattach /dev/tty00 9600
ioctl (TIOCSETD): No such device

and also:

# ifconfig tty00 inet lclark annex31
ioctl (SIOCGIFFLAGS): no such interface

(lclark and annex31 are defined in /etc/hosts)

My kernel is config'd with the INET option.  Do I need to add a
pseudo-device ether?  What else do I need to do?

Thanks,
Dan

Note:
This is a reposting with a wider distribution (na vs. pnw)
and crossposting to comp.protocols.tcp-ip.

--
dan at lclark.bitnet					SM 0 A9F4
tektronix!reed!lclark!dan				G 0