How do I configure a SLIP connection (VAX/750 4.3bsd)

Ken Sallenger ken at opusc.csd.scarolina.edu
Wed Jan 23 07:45:05 AEST 1991

In article <1046 at lclark.UUCP> dan at lclark.UUCP (Dan Revel) writes:

=> ... setting up a SLIP connection
=> between it and a Xylogics AnnexIIe terminal server to connect to
=> our campus ethernet.

=> I tried:
=> # slattach /dev/tty00 9600
=> # ifconfig tty00 inet lclark annex31

Both commands look good.  The kernel config is probably at fault.
These commands can be put in /etc/rc.local when you get it working.

=> My kernel is config'd with the INET option.  Do I need to add a
=> pseudo-device ether?  What else do I need to do?

You need the SLIP pseudo-device "sl" for example:
	pseudo-device sl 8
where 8 is (I believe) the number of SLIP connections desired.  This
was not clear in the 4.3 documentation---in fact, I don't think it's
mentioned in the kernel configuration article---we experimented
until /usr/etc/config accepted it.

You'll also need at least the "pty" and "loop" pseudo-devices.  Don't
forget to create the pseudo-tty devices in /dev:
	# cd /dev
	# MAKEDEV pty0 pty1
will create 32 of them.  See "Network setup," section 5 in the 4.3
installation instructions, and "Building kernels with config."
--
     Ken Sallenger / ken at bigbird.csd.scarolina.edu / +1 803 777-6551
     Computer Services Division / 1244 Blossom ST / Columbia, SC 29208