ACL lists (was Re: file attributes)

Shankar Unni shankar at hpcupt3.cup.hp.com
Wed Jun 26 18:47:41 AEST 1991

SLIGHT DRIFT:

In comp.unix.wizards, gt0178a at prism.gatech.EDU (Jim Burns) writes:

> The one implementation of them I saw, tho', HP-UX 7.0's, had
> a flaw that any time you use 'chmod', it wipes out the ACL list.

Check the -A option to chmod. "preserves the ACL list". It doesn't actually
modify the ACLs, because there is no simple mapping between ACLs and
ordinary Unix permissions. Instead, there is chacl(1).

BACK TO THE FEATURE FLAMES...
-----
Shankar Unni                                   E-Mail:
HP India Software Operation, Bangalore       Internet: shankar at india.hp.com
Phone : +91-812-261254 x417                      UUCP: ...!hplabs!hpda!shankar