ftp logging

Peter Holzer hp at vmars.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Jun 7 04:36:42 AEST 1991

mouse at thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (der Mouse) writes:

>Our ftpd logs all anonymous sessions through syslog.  This involves a
>handful of changes - a variable (which may already exist - I don't
>recall offhand) to remember whether an anonymous session is in progress
>and a call to syslog for every command received.  On our machine I had
>to hack syslog(), too, so it worked when under the influence of chroot,
>but that was fairly straightforward.

The newest version of the Berkeley ftpd does this also if called with
the -a flag. We installed it last week, and it is interesting to see what files
are fetched most and from where people are connecting.

--
|    _  | Peter J. Holzer                       | Think of it   |
| |_|_) | Technical University Vienna           | as evolution  |