Limiting Telnet Access V2

der Mouse mouse at thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
Fri Jun 7 00:03:13 AEST 1991

In article <27113 at adm.brl.mil>, hutch at ssmct62.ssc.af.mil (Capt E. Lee Hutchins) writes:

> I need to clarify my request for info -

> I need to prevent people from REMOTE sites from accessing my machine
> via telnet for this particular user.

It's not clear so far whether you mean this particular *local* user or
*remote* user.  Your next paragraph

> The problem is we have some users using a pseudo-BBS running under
> Informix and they are exiting by just closing the telnet connection.
> The BBS is not terminating and eventually the system crashes after 4
> or 5 of these ungraceful connections.

makes it clear you mean the former.

The proper fix is to fix the BBS!  Preventing it from being used by
users telnetting in is just slapping a band-aid on the real problem.

> So I need to do something with the daemon on my end to reget telnet
> connections for that particular user.

The place you would have to put this fix would be in login, since
that's the first point where the user name is known.

If you have the cooperation of the people maintaining the BBS software,
you could have it deal with the problem; this seems more appropriate,
since it's the source of the problem to begin with.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu