Can you recommend a good OS book?

Dave Clark dclark at b11.ingr.com
Sat Jun 22 04:53:05 AEST 1991

curlandm at prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Matt Curland) writes:

>OK, maybe it's just me, but if anyone out there knows of a real
>good, clear book on OS's, particularly Unix or the like, I'd
>really appreciate hearing about it.

Try the following:

	Deitel, H. M., Operating Systems, 2nd ed., Addison-Wesley, 1990.
	ISBN 0-201-18038-3.

Although it is challenging in places, it provides a good introduction to
OS concepts and some good case studies to back them up.  Case studies in
the second edition include Unix, OS/2, MS-DOS, Macintosh, VM, and MVS.
It has sections on networking, RISC, and parallel processing.  It's a good
all-around reference, too.

>Thanks very much,

>Matt Curland.. .  .   .    .     .       .         curlandm at prism.cs.orst.edu

   Dave Clark                     |  Where cities / hang / and in the noose
   System Development             |  of cloud / the towers' crooked spires
   Intergraph Corp., CR1102       |  congeal -- I go / alone to weep / that
   Huntsville, AL 35894-0001      |  crossroads / crucify / policemen.
   UUCP: uunet!ingr!b11!dclark    |
   Internet: dclark at b11.ingr.com  |       -- Vladimir Mayakovsky (Ya, 1913)