Recovering compressed files

David Cook dcook at spam.ua.oz
Thu Jun 27 16:12:52 AEST 1991

Hello all,

   A few months ago, I tar'ed and compressed some directories,
then ftp'ed the .tar.Z files to a PC, onto 3.5" disks.
(via NCSA telnet).
It seems that I only had Binary mode set for 2 of the 5 files.
What I want to know is, can I recover the other three ?
What characters will be converted in Ascii mode during ftp ?
I know it's not as simple as converting ^M^J to ^J ....

(no, I don't have the original files any more - that's why I'm asking)

Please e-mail replies ... most people aren't stupid enough
to do what I did :-}

David T Cook | e-mail: dcook at spam.adelaide.edu.au | Phone: +61 8 228 5709
Assistant Computer Manager, Stats, Pure and Applied Maths LMG, Adelaide Uni
"The wonderful thing about USENET is that anyone can express their opinion."
"The worrying thing is that they _do_."