Cheating with typewriters

Christophe Wolfhugel wolf at grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr
Fri Jun 21 15:46:20 AEST 1991

I wish to use an application (a X.25 PAD) that requires to be a
typewriter. When I start it with stdin redirected (from a file or a
pipe) the application gives me
"ioctl TCGETA error: not a typewriter". I assume this means that
input must come from a tty.

Is there any mean of cheating? In my case, this application should be
started by an inetd daemon that handles connection with another host.

If such a cheating is not possible, is attributing a ttyp an easy
method. I remember having vaguely seen in a package they it checks
every ttyp until it finds a good one, but I don't remember how
this is done. Any suggestion?

Christophe Wolfhugel    | Email: wolf at grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr
INSA - Dpt Informatique | "Le progres ne vaut que s'il est partage par tous,"
Lyon, France            | "les greves aussi. Hassan Cehef: c'est penible!"