book request

Peter Whittaker pww at bnr.ca
Wed Jun 26 01:27:32 AEST 1991

maburak at nmsu.edu (Mary Burak) wrote in <MABURAK.91Jun24213816 at gauss.nmsu.edu>:

>	I'm looking for a book about unix, but all of the books fall
>into two categories, either basic stuff (how to log on, send/recieve
>mail), or system admin (stuff you need a su account to even try).  My
>problem is, I fall somewhere in between.
>	I've talked with people about this, but they all keep asking
>what do I want to know.  The problem is I don't know what I CAN know,
>that is, I don't know very much about unix capabilites.
>	Does anyone have any recommendations?

Mark G. Sobell's "A Practical Guide to the Unix System", second edition,
Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company, Redwood City, California.
ISBN 0-8053-0243-3

Coming froma VM and MVS background with next to no Unix experience,
I used Sobell's book to come up to speed on a Unix box in less than
a week.  The book covers System V Release 3 and BSD 4.3, discusses
differences between the two flavours when relevant, and leads the user
on quite a decent tour.  I'd suggest sitting down at a terminal with
the book in hand, and trying the examples (their are many of these).

>From page xii, the "Brief Contents":

Part 1, The Unix System
 1 The UNIX OS
 2 Getting Started
 3 An Introduction to the Utilities
 4 The File Structure
 5 The Shell
 6 The vi editor
 7 The nroff Text Formatter
 8 The Bourne Shell
 9 The C Shell
10 Programming Tools
11 System Administration

Part 2, The UNIX Utility Programs
(230 pages of description, arranged like man pages, but much more readable)

Appendixes (sic)
A An Introduction to the Korn Shell
B Regular Expressions
Glossary

Best of Luck,

--
Peter Whittaker      [~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~]   Open Systems Support
pww at bnr.ca           [                          ]   Bell Northern Research