rlogin demands password: the answer

Roy Smith roy at alanine.phri.nyu.edu
Thu Jun 13 05:37:11 AEST 1991

	A few days ago, I asked why my MtXinu 4.3BSD/NFS vax had suddenly
started demanding passwords for rlogins.  The answer turned out to be the
new /etc/hosts file I had just installed.  The host I was rlogging-in from
had an entry in /etc/hosts which listed the fully qualified domain name
first, but /etc/hosts.equiv just had the first (least significant) part.
Changing /etc/hosts to have the simple name first solved the problem.  I
would guess that changing /etc/hosts.equiv to have the FQDN would have
worked too.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy at alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"