POSIX bashing (Was Re: Retaining file permissions)

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sat Mar 9 06:11:18 AEST 1991

>Of course, one could argue that a standard should not try to define too
>much...but I think POSIX purposely decided to look more like System V and
>ignore all the interesting bits that made BSD better.  Why, I'm not sure.

One can think so only if one ignores the presence of, say, "mkdir()",
"rmdir()", and "rename()", or a BSD-flavored signal mechanism in POSIX.

(Does anybody know of a drug that can be used to cure religious
attachment either to System V or to BSD? A version that can be
administered via the lungs would be idea, because it could be introduced
into the air conditioning system at the next USENIX....

Further development on the drug, to cure religious attachments to *any*
operating system, would also be nice.)