Shared Libraries: Unique to Suns??

der Mouse mouse at thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
Sat Mar 23 17:33:40 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar21.035115.21842 at NCoast.ORG>, allbery at NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) writes:
> As quoted from <1991Mar16.073109.30717 at m.cs.uiuc.edu> by sane at m.cs.uiuc.edu (Aamod Sane):
> +---------------
> | I would like to know if shared libraries are a SunOs feature
> | or are available on most flavors of Unix (BSD, SysV)?

SunOS doesn't have shared libraries - yet.  (As of 4.1, that being the
latest I've worked on to any extent.)  It does have shared objects;
they are not libraries except in the broad sense of the term.  When
ld.so brings in a .so file, you get the whole thing....

Vanilla 4.3BSD does not have anything of the sort.  I don't know about
more recent versions (eg, 4.3-tahoe, 4.3-Reno...).

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu