Shared Libraries: Unique to Suns??

XGPB30000-GibbonsDDRR6702262 ldg at drywit.ATT.COM
Sat Mar 23 03:35:55 AEST 1991

>From article <1991Mar21.035115.21842 at NCoast.ORG>, by allbery at NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR):
>
> System V has shared libraries, but you have to design your libraries for them
> --- they are *not* trivial to set up.  I know little about the SunOS
> implementation, but it looks rather easier to use.
>
> (Has this been addressed in SVR4?)
>
> ++Brandon
> --

SVR4 has indeed addressed this question. The implementation of shared
libraries, or "shared objects" in SVR4 is based upon the Sun design.
The SVR4 shared object is easier to make and use than its SVR3 counterpart,
and the performance issues are  similar. A good treatment on this
subject can be found in the "UNIX System V Programmer's Guide: ANSI C
and Programming Support Tools. This book is shipped with the AT&T
ANSI C compiler software. Also, see the "System V Application Binary
Interface" - ISBN 0-13-877598-2.