Multiprocessing via sockets

Werner Hans Peter Vogels werner at aphrodite.inesc.pt
Wed Mar 13 19:04:54 AEST 1991

In article <4306 at skye.ed.ac.uk>, rbs at bute.ed.aiai (Robert Scott) writes:
|> I'm trying to turn a network of Sun4s in a multiprocessor executing a
|> parallel language.

|> I want to generalise the system. I want an unlimited number of machine to
|> be able to communicate. I can see that on each machine I need to create
|> an array of sockets of length N (the number of machines) so that each machine
|> can talk directly to any other.
|> How do I do this cleanly?

I would advise you to look into the world of distributed computing (atomicy,
broadcast/multicast protocols, workboard algoritmes etc) before you go
any further.

It would be a good thing if you also looked into the ISIS toolkit from Cornell
University wich gives you must of the tools you need for distributed computing
under UNIX.

Werner Vogels (werner at inesc.inesc.pt)
INESC - Distributed Systems Group
Lisboa - Portugal