Multiprocessing via sockets

Ashmeet S Sidana sidana at neon.Stanford.EDU
Wed Mar 13 15:35:00 AEST 1991

In article <4306 at skye.ed.ac.uk> rbs at bute.ed.aiai (Robert Scott) writes:

>I want to generalise the system. I want an unlimited number of machine to
>be able to communicate. I can see that on each machine I need to create
>an array of sockets of length N (the number of machines) so that each machine
>can talk directly to any other.
>How do I do this cleanly?

If your communication requirements are not too high then you could just
communicate through one socket (with everybody listening), whereby the first
byte would indicate which machine the message was for (assuming < 255 machines)

Of couse you have esentially "sequentialized" all communication here.

Note this is != to sequentializing all processing!

How much/how frequent is the communication?

---Ashmeet Sidana
   sidana at cs.stanford.edu
   Stanford University.