Restarting a process from a core file

Carl Stern carl at neocad.com
Thu May 2 03:00:08 AEST 1991

     Ideally what I'd like to do is to be able to save the state of a
process at a given point in time and then restart it for debugging purposes.
I thought I could send it a signal to dump core, (I've tried QUIT, ABRT, TRAP),
and then use dbx to debug the core file.  I can't continue execution though,
which is what I want to be able to do.  I believe this is because there is
no active process for dbx to debug.  So is there a way, or an existing program,
that can take a core file and use it to initialize a process and run it?
i.e. reload the core file and restart it as a process.
If not, why not?

The main reason I want to do this is I have a bug that occurs after about
30-40 minutes of run time.  Obviusly it would be nice to restart at time
T=30 instead of T=0 when bringing it around again to find the bug.

I'm using Sun OS 4.1.1 on a sparc.  Thanks for any help.

--
   Carl Stern
   NeoCAD                     carl at neocad.com
   2585 Central Ave.
   Boulder, CO 80301          Phone: (303) 442-9121