Desperate Help!

Bill Edward Bach cs551beb at iitmax.iit.edu
Thu May 2 02:50:16 AEST 1991

I Need help quickly for a unix problem.  Let me set the stage...

I am connecting an HP-9000 Series 300 running HP-UX to a Raster
Technologies frame buffer via the HP's RS232 port.  Everything is
fine when outputting to the frame buffer... The characters make their
way across the serial line to the frae buffer, where nice pictures
are displayed.  However, the frame buffer should also be able to
return information to the host machine via the serial line.

To this end, the running program redirects stdin & stdout to the
frame buffer (/dev/ttyd01).  The commands being sent to the buffer
still get there, but the data coming back is garbled... The first
few characters are not received by the program, but upon exit,
they are sitting in the input queue for the tty line.  This has
been determined as follows...

The frame buffer should be returning the string " 00012", followed
by a CR.  The program reads the 012 and sometimes the CR.  Upon exit
of the program, the tty terminal returns to command mode (from
the graphics mode), and upon pressing <Enter>, the first response
is "00: Not found".  This is obviously not acceptable.  Has anyone
ever worked with sending data over serial terminal lines?

Any help would be appreciated, as it is part of my Masters Project,
and must be completed by May 7, 1991.  Please respond via E-Mail
as time is of the essence...

Thanx a lot...
Bill Bach
cs551beb at iitmax.iit.edu