BSD tty security, part 4: What You Can Look F

Matthew Ender ender at husc8.harvard.edu
Fri May 3 10:35:04 AEST 1991

In article <7363:May202:45:0591 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>In article <13266 at goofy.Apple.COM> erc at Apple.COM (Ed Carp) writes:
>> In article <26844:May100:59:2591 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>> There's NO WAY that you're going to
>> get all vendors to distribute fixes, let alone distribute them FOR FREE.
>
>If a vendor doesn't react by October 1992, its systems will be open to
>attack by any novice with rn and cc. Don't get the idea that I trust
>vendors to fix problems; I just want to give the more sensible ones a
>chance to clean up their act. I suspect that at least some will react.

Now I'm confused.  What exactly happens in October 1992?  Based on
what you said, if the system doesn't change, it's going to be
vulnerable.  But the system isn't changed now... so the systems are
'open to attack by any novice with rn and cc'.  So, what's the point
of saying the system will be vulnerable in Oct 1992?

-- Matt