SIGPWR signal in system v

Martin Golding martin at adpplz.UUCP
Wed May 8 05:39:47 AEST 1991

In <1991May6.224407.22544 at federal.uucp> hecker at federal.uucp (Frank Hecker) writes:

>[I]f you've configured [the S2] to do a powerfail auto
>restart then (almost) all processes get sent SIGPWR.  They then get
>suspended and the contents of system memory written to disk, after
>which the system turns itself off.  When power resumes the contents of
>memory are reloaded from disk, the processes are resumed, and they're
>sent SIGPWR again.
>...you can set selected processes to not resume across a power failure
>[they] get sent SIGTERM instead, followed by SIGKILL.

>I'm interested in hearing about any comparable implementations of
>SIGPWR on other systems.

Last time we looked, NCR and Altos had the save/resume capability,
although perhaps not as thorough as Tandem's. We've been explaining
to Motorola how easy it is, and what a good idea, but no sale yet.

Just a data point: McDonnell Douglas Reality systems have done this
for years, ever since we showed them how :-)

Another data point: I just saw a _card_ for a PC that implements the
feature: it's got on-board battery backup to hold the disk up long
enough for a memory save. I have a faint suspicion that there are some
applications that won't come back clean.

Martin Golding    | sync, sync, sync, sank ... sunk:
Dod #0236         |  He who steals my code steals trash.
A poor old decrepit Pick programmer. Sympathize at:
{mcspdx,pdxgate}!adpplz!martin or martin at adpplz.uucp