How much memory does SunOs use?

Tom Tulinsky tomt at maui.coral.com
Thu May 9 05:19:38 AEST 1991

We are having severe thrashing problems running gdb on a large g++
program.  Our user process total RSS size never gets over about
6 meg on our 16 meg Sparc 1's. (measured w/ ps -aux).  I am aware that
ps -aux doesn't show the resident text.  Is this the amount of space
you would expect to be available?  Is there anyway we can make the OS
smaller?

Is there any command that shows how much memory the OS uses?

We run SunOs 4.1.
We tried to make the kernel smaller, with little result, by:
   - start with GENERIC_SMALL
   - remove Crypt, win10, dtop1, sd3 (4th disk), st1 (2nd tape),
However we also have to do the following which would *increase*
our memory use:
   maxusers        32   (was 4)
   options SEMMNS=64    # max number of semaphores
   options SHMSIZE=437    # single largest shared mem seg (in KB)
   options SEMEME=48      # max number of semaphores/process
   options SHMMNI=10645   # number of shared memory segments

 Coral
     * **	Tom Tulinsky                508 460-6010
  *  **		Coral Network Corporation   fax 508 481-6258
*  ** 		734 Forest St               net: tomt at coral.com
 ***		   Marlboro, MA 01752
  **		   U S A
*********	   Overheard in a BART station:
NETWORKS	      "I was the only NORM there!"