X11 bashing

neal at mnopltd.UUCP neal at mnopltd.UUCP
Wed May 29 15:07:17 AEST 1991

[rant, rave, rant, rant]

->>>     Thanx, but I'll keep my X, bloated as it may be....
->>But, why?
->
->     Because it makes me more productive, and there isn't a better alternative
->around out there. A MAC is NOT an alternative, due to the nature of my work.
->
->     Actually, my example of > 80 column terminal wasn't a good choice, so
->here's a better example. A lot of my time is editing files, and more often
->than not, I need to see 3-4 files AT THE SAME TIME. Try doing that without
->some sort of windowing system (and a mouse is MANDATORY).
->

Microterm was showing the 6600 terminal at Comdex.  For about $700, you get
an ascii terminal which provides at least two windows.  the 3"x5" 25x80
window was absolutely razor sharp.  The full screen window could be read
from 5' away.  Both windows can take output at once.   I suspect two
43x80 windows would be possible.

Since most of the bleating about X relates to multiple copies of Xterm,
this appears to be most of the benefits at 10% of the cost.

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
                             emory!mnopltd!neal
                         gatech!emory!mnopltd!neal