X11 bashing

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp
Tue May 7 19:47:54 AEST 1991

In article <9471 at sail.LABS.TEK.COM> terryl at sail.LABS.TEK.COM writes:

>+My console is 42 lines by 80 columns.
>
>     And how easily can you change that (if at all)??? What, you mean you'll
>never want to change it??? What if you wanted to view a file that someone had
>entered on a > 80 column terminal, and you'd like to see each line on ONE
>physical line, instead of multiple physical lines???

The first time I need 132 column terminal was when we bought infamous ETA10.
Its fortrans sometimes output listing with 132 columns.

Solution? We told CDC/ETA not to do such a silly thing, of course.

Of course, as a workaround, I could have used VT100, though it can't
display Japanese characters.

>     Thanx, but I'll keep my X, bloated as it may be....

But, why?

						Masataka Ohta